Thursday, 4 April 2013

Rainbow Ric Rac Dress


I have had this idea for a rainbow dress for a long while now. What do I mean by a rainbow dress? Simply using 3 to 5 colours of ric rac on either a dark or light coloured plain fabric. in this case I choose a navy blue fabric and used green, yellow, blue, white and pink ric rac. I also used green and yellow ric rac on the sleeves.


Used an empire waist top bodice by just measuring and cutting off 1" (one inch) from a normal bodice pattern both front and back.
For the sleeves used a full sleeves pattern and just cut it off at the 3/4 length, used another piece of fabric that was about 3 times the width of sleeves, hemmed it, top stitched the ric rac and joined it to rest of sleeves as a band. this gave the sleeves a 'flare' look
For the skirt simply take a long rectangle fabric, (my girls waist size is 22" so I used 45" for the rectangle i.e double their waist plus seam allowance.) I did two box pleats at the front and two at the back, I then top stitched five rows of ric rac to the dress while still a rectangle  leaving some distance (just a design) after the yellow ric rac. some measurements will have to be done to make sure that your ric rac stays on a straight line.
Did you notice the loose thread :) on the ribbon?

Checking themselves out...


Back view



Gathered sleeve detail.



I love making girly dresses and am so blessed to have two girls who are so into dresses. 
When does their taste start to change?...
Guess I just have to wait and see.


11 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks Gina, everything is x2 other here. Lol.

      Delete
  2. I wasn't much of a navy person until recently but I have found myself using the color more and more....and you use it well here. I like the mix of structure and whimsy in these dresses (the pleats remind me of my daughter's school uniform but the gathered sleeves and ric rac give it girly flair). Your girls look quite pleased...great job

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Karen, I love your analytical comment, at some point in the construction process, I was afraid the fabric looked like school uniform, was a bit disappointed but decided to just 'spice' it up and it didn't look so bad when finished. One of the things I'm learning is there is always a way out of every mistake or challenge. It also helps me think outside the box.

      Delete
  3. The dresses (and the girls) are absolutely beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vaahtismonsteri, I'm glad someone loves it.

      Delete
  4. How blessed you are to have two precious little girls to sew for! The navy dresses are both classic and whimsical. Great balance on such cute dresses.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love these sweet dresses. The girls are so cute. I love that pop of color on the dresses. way to go Momma!
    with love,
    -Jo

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are darling! I love the way you continued the ric-rac on the sleeve ruffles. I love these enough that I want to make identical ones for my daughters. =) Now if only I can find the time...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful dresses on beautiful girls! The first photo really caught my eye, and then scrolling down, I realized there were TWO lovely ladies in identical outfits - lucky you !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Deepa, lol yes two lovely ladies. I try to console myself for all the hard work saying that one day I'll have 'two' ladies helping me out.

      Delete

I would love to hear from you, Please leave a message, Thanks